Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Second worst day of my life

Well, as of tonight, I am officially unemployed. I was let go today from my company because I "didn't fit in" the company. When I joined, they had just received a very big project and needed the extra help. Now that the project is completed, they no longer have ample work for me to do. At least that was the basic explanation.

Obviously, now lies two paths to follow:

1. Go to business school: This option is available to some degree as my boss did say he would still be a reference should I decide to choose this route. However, this is not the most financially reasonable option.

2. Find another job: This is probably the most likely route I will take if I cannot get any major grants for business school since as it stands I can hardly afford even a single semester at a reasonably ranked business school.

Although I must admit, I was not particularly enjoying my job as a programmer there and I certainly did feel like I was on the outside looking in the entire time. Here's to rolling with the punches

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you might think it sucks, but depending on how quickly you can find a new job, it could be awesome. Don't you get unemployment in this case? I know a few people who've collected, and as long as you line something up, you basically get paid to do nothing for a few months.

Velius said...

I get a months worth of severance pay as well as insurance.

Anonymous said...

I would still go to the Dept. of Labor and see what you are eligible for. From what I read, you may be able to get maybe 50% of your typical earnings even if you work part-time or got a severance package.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

The site is kinda crappy, but I went to the link about Unemployment Insurance Benefits. It looks like you can apply online too.

Kungfucius said...

Doh...sorry to hear about what happened :( Something similar happened to my brother where he got let go at a job he didn't like that much, but it worked out for the better as he's now happier where he currently works. So keep on searching! You'll never know what opportunities might come up :)

Anonymous said...

Definitely a mixed blessing. If that California job still open?

Anonymous said...

Ouch, been there dude.
Hey, if you want to another IT job, its a good time to do it soon after. You've been working there for a couple of years, so I'm sure there are companies looking for people with similar background and experience as yours.

moonfleck said...

I am so sorry to hear that :(. *hug*

Like kungfucius was saying tho, you didn't like the job that much anyway, this is a opportunity to start something new. send your resume here and I will help you look.

You can also look into some contract jobs such as Volt as a temporary thing. They are usually pretty quick at placing people. http://volt.com/

Anonymous said...

=(

/hug