Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Dark Knight

Went to see Dark Knight last night. I went into this movie with extremely high expectations resulting from all the hype and reviews of the movie. I am happy to say that this movie did not disappoint. All of the actors put in superb performances and the plot was just as well-written. Special props to Heath Ledger and his Joker portrayal. While this may be a Batman movie, Ledger totally stole the show with his dynamic performance. This all leads to the question of how can you possibly find a replacement villain for the Joker in the other movies? It was done that well.
Not going to mention anything about the plot for those who haven't watched it.

5 comments:

Tochi said...

Yeah, going in with all the expectations of a superb performance, I was itching to see what's so good about the movie. Ledger's performance was definitely superb. I don't even know how one can pull off such a show. Definitely an awesome movie. :)

moonfleck said...

I think the joker definitely stole the show. I wonder if they recut it to make him more prominent after the tragedy. He was pretty amazing.

Kungfucius said...

Part of me wanted more background on the Joker, but I think that would probably have made the movie a big longer than it needs to be.

How many of you have shown the pencil trick to your coworkers? ;)

Anonymous said...

Sure, I liked the movie fine..as long as I don't try to reconcile it with the Dark Knight comic book.

Why, oh why, is it impossible for the movies to get away from the black rubber suit? The guy's already dressed up as a bat! Would a little color make him "unbelievable"????

Batman's "voice"? Can someone hand the poor guy a lozenge? I think he needs to clear his throat...

Why are the action scenes so darkly lit it's incredibly hard to SEE the action?

Don't get me wrong, as a big budget hollywood movie, it was lots of fun. I like watching things go BOOM! I LIKE Christian Bale. =D
But it mostly lacked the viceral energy and impact of the comic.

On the plus side, the Joker was impressive. I loved his many versions of his origin that just served to highlight his insanity. No pat explanations for his existence.

Additionally, the music in the movie was really well done and the dreadful tone used in the Joker scenes was incredibly effective in building the tension.

Oh,and.. *SPOILER*





..thank goodness they killed off Rachel, I couldn't stand the character.

moonfleck said...

just making way for Catwoman ;)