Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Houston: 3 Days since last Hurricane

You hear it on the news, but in person, it's even worse. On the drive back to Houston from College Station, as soon as I got into town, I started noticing things. Things like almost all the billboards are destroyed. Any high shop signs are either completely blown off or severely damage. Even highways signs show wind damage. There are still downed trees everywhere and piles of debris on the highways. None of the traffic lights I have run into function and you see makeshift power lines everywhere.

In my neighborhood, there are numerous fences that have been blown down or completely blown away all together. I don't really see any broken windows, but there is still significant debris on the roads. My house had its main fence get blown away, and my mom lost all of her potted plants. We had some minor water leakage as well. All in all though, I would say we came out well. We are also lucky in that we have power.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when the hurricane hit while we were living in VA. It was terrible coming back and seeing everything all destroyed. All the trees and powerlines were all messed up, and you are really lucky to have power. I'm glad your house is ok, though the fence is kinda a bummer.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for making it through relatively unscathed. =)

Anonymous said...

MAH KARR

Other than that, house generally fine.

My friend Andrew got water soak through the ceiling due to some shingle ripped off. Parts of ceiling fell in various parts of the house :(.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any pictures of what your neighborhood and Houston is like now?