Monday, January 19, 2009

Revolutionary Depression

Watched Slumdog Millionaire and Revolutionary Road over the weekend.

Slumdog was a very well crafted film in terms of the story. It had a whole "Crazy Stone" feel to it as it was a montage of before, during, and after scenes all meticulously tied together. While I felt like sometimes, the coincidences were a bit too contrived, the entire plot felt somewhat believable. I really enjoyed the first half of the movie thoroughly and while I liked the second half as well, I found it much too predictable. Amusingly, I knew the answer to the last question thanks to my previous obsession with "The Man in the Iron Mask."

Revolutionary Road on the other hand didn't really do that much for me. I found the film incredibly boring through the first half and didn't really care as to what happened to the characters at the end. Yes, suburbia sucks, but so are decisions on a whim without considering any consequences. That's actually how one gets an STD or ends up paying for an extra ticket from Toronto to Houston (Chivalrous: yes, Realistic: No) Even though I understood the plot clearly, I didn't find any of it tugging on my heartstrings. In fact, my favorite character from the movie was a mentally insane dude. I do admit that both the actors did a fantastic job with the roles they were given and if I drank and smoked heavily, then I may actually identify with just about every character in the movie. However, since I was sober, I didn't.

No comments: