Monday, July 25, 2005

Something new

Yesterday, I went bowling with some friends. Usually, I just use the "straight" method where you hold the ball and just sorta toss it casually at the pins. However, this time I wanted to try something different so after the first game (121) I decided to try to spin the ball like the pros do it. This was quite a painful learning process. First, I thought they didn't use the holes at all, this led to several memorable tosses where the ball nearly flew into the next lane over since I had absolutely no control over where the ball went. It was then that I learned they actually DID use the holes!

It turns out that they only use the index and middle fingers to control the ball as it spins. This went better and I tried this method for 2 more games (67, 78). The problem is that when I throw it right, I get a strike, but then I would waste it with several bad attempts to imitate the throwing motion of the strike and end up with double gutters. With more practice, I know I can toss it with more consistency. Expectedly, my score took a dive, but even at less than 50% ability, I bet I still doubled Kabitzin's score ^^b.

During this whole time, we had other people (mostly parents and little kids) bowling with their training rails up next to us. One time, this little kid next to us literally threw a ball so slowly that after going almost halfway, it actually stopped, then slowly started coming back. I wonder how you would score this.

This girl 2 lanes down had a very unique throwing motion. She was tossing the ball with both hands onto the rails on purpose and hoping the rails would somehow make her get a strike. The only thing that can describe her throwing motion would be Ha-dou-ken (down, down-towards, towards + punch). Of course, she had absolutely no accuracy and even managed to toss the ball so violently against the rail that it bounced off, and landed in the area between two lanes. Ryu and Ken have nothing on her.

No comments: