Sunday, January 13, 2008

Austin

Trip to Austin was very good. Got to go golfing and kayaking, two things I had never done before. Because most of us had never played golf before, we just elected to go to a driving range. A friend there let me borrow his golf club and off I went to attempt to hit golf balls. I first intimidated them several times by swinging menacingly and hitting mostly dirt and grass, and after several of these with the ball quivering in fear, I managed to hit it about 3 feet. Sweet! As the day progressed, I actually hit the ball about 9 out of 10 times for an average yardage of something like 30 feet maybe? I should have taking Kira's advice about the golf gloves as I had a couple of blisters after the session. Tiger Woods really has nothing to fear from me...

Kayaking was pretty fun as well, if a bit cold. We had 4 people so we got 2 2-person kayaks. Before we started, an eccentric lady there gave us a tip about the water guards on the paddles that prevent water from getting down our sleeves. It totally didn't work as my sleeves and half my sweater were absolutely drenched after the row. The wind and not so calm waters also contributed greatly to the overall misery. It was simply too cold to keep rowing after about 1 hour on the waters. Despite the cold, the overall experience was great.

I was able to reacquaint myself with cornbread obsession as we went to Z-Tejas the first night. Second day for lunch was this awesome local pizzeria called The Home Slice. For dinner, we went to another local BBQ placed called Rudy's. These mom/pop places were totally awesome and I really hope we get to eat at more of these local places for Veg Out 4.

For some reason, every time I go to Austin, I get volunteered for some kinda makeover; be it haircut/clothing/shoes/etc. This time, I was mislead into going to a local mall instead of heading home to watch the Patriots/Jaguars game. While I was pretty reluctant to go at first, I must say the end result was pretty good. Got a nice jacket, some nice polo shirts, a pair of jeans, and 2 pairs of loafers. I was also signed up for Match.com and some other similar online dating site. How this will go is anyones guess but at least I should get some good blog posts from this.

Again, much thanks to BluPnutMM couple for letting me crash at their place and to their lovable pet, Teddy, who was forced to watch me eat cornbread in front of him without given any. Sorry Teddy, but cornbread addiction > puppy dog eyes. Did I mention I like to drink cornbread and that the cornbread can cure cancer?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear about match.com! Bunky and I were watching some eHarmony commercials and intrigued by how they work.

Anonymous said...

Was it the BluPntMM couple that handled the makeover?

Tochi said...

Jeez. You guys are so lucky being able to kayak in winter. lol.

9 out of 10 shots is awesome given it's your first time at golfing. I still can't hit the ball 9 out of 10 times and I've been prac'ing on and off for 2 summers now. I'm such a noob.

So are we suppose to see an all new Shawn at VO4?

Velius said...

Well, I think it's like looking for a job. There is this 4000 character essay you had to write describing yourself. It's almost like a cover letter. In fact, I think I just copy/pasted my cover letter.

Anonymous said...

Guild application, lol.

Being able to hit the ball 9/10 times actually is pretty good for a newbie. I'm even less experienced than Joran, and I also miss the ball more than I'd like to admit.

Not having the glove was definitely a bad idea...

moonfleck said...

man, you are so lucky to have personal shopper service! *jealous*

you need to post a pic of the makeover.

Anonymous said...

>>So are we suppose to see an all new Shawn at VO4?

>>you need to post a pic of the makeover.

Just watch, the next time we meet him he will be a 6'2" African American baller. Yo, what up Shawn?