Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Veg Out III: Day 3-Eldora

First day of skiing! jOrange’s skis finally arrived around midnight so we took it as a good sign of things to come. We all woke up pretty early in order to make it there in time for the first lifts. The drive was again uneventful. On the way there, BlueBerry mentioned that Google was an awesome place to work because of the free food they provided and how he loved to drink blueberries because they were the best berry. He also mentioned that there was no point of going out to eat because the food was worse than the food Google offered and he had an amazing DS that did everything but cure cancer.

Since this was my first time ever skiing, Eldora seemed like a very cool place. To the seasoned veterans such as jOrange and Blueberry, Eldora was like a children’s playground in terms of difficulty.

With helpful advice from Catnipped, jOrange, and Blueberry, I was able to master the art of stopping. The trick was “falling down.” I fell so many times today as I had no idea how to do anything. I couldn’t control my speed, I couldn’t turn, and I couldn’t stop. I was like a machine. Towards the end of the day, I was able to learn how to turn left. This made the hills a lot safer for others.

Kira’s myriad of ailments was joined by elevation sickness through the mix of high altitude and cold air. This was pretty much the first and last day that Kira was able to join us on the slopes as the trio of illnesses knocked him out of commission for the rest of the trip. Not even the potent 3-hit home remedy attack of Vitamin C, Ginger, and orange juice could help him.

After a day of face plants for me and skiing for others, we dropped the stricken Kira off at the house and had dinner at California Pizza Kitchen. Vail was lined up for the next day and from all we heard, it was an amazing place to ski. We were definitely in for an experience….

No comments: